July 07, 2008

Love Letters of Great Women

This was written by my friend Ammie (Crutsinger) Wright for her husband Dave on their first anniversary. After watching the Sex and the City movie, I rushed home and immediately got on amazon.com to purchase the book of love letters Carrie frequently referenced. When I read this open letter to Dave on Ammie's myspace, I asked her if I could repost it here.
Dave and Ammie's wedding was the first one I ever photographed, so my heart was especially warmed my heart when I read this public ode to their love.


Warning: If you are reading this and you are not Dave, it will contain lovey dovey stuff.

Okay, so it isn't the song you want me to write you, but hey, I'm posting my love for you on the web, LOL. It's the least I can do since you sang a song declaring your love for me in front of 50+ people at our wedding. Although, after reading the letter you wrote me today, I'm not sure I can measure up.

I do remember when you called me after hearing what makes a marriage last on the radio that day, and yes, I do agree gratitude is very important. But, there are a few more attributes that I think are just as important to make a marriage last. And you really can't have one without the other, they all build upon each other.

Trust. I love that we are secure in ourselves enough to know that we will resist whatever temptations that may come around. And to be honest, I have no desire whatsoever to be with anyone but you. I choose not to go out to bars with my friends without you not because I'm worried about what I will end up doing (I do know how to carry myself in the proper manner), but only because I know this town and there are alot of people in it who like to start shit. I never want you to have to hear some made up rumor that concerns me. It is hard that you are gone so much working, but only because I miss having you here. I love the fact that we can be apart from each other and not worry about who or what the other is doing.

Intimacy. I love that we can self-disclose with one another. When my dad was sick and then died, you saw me at my absolute worst and yet you never thought any less of me or felt as if you loved me any less. And I never felt like I had to hide that side of me from you for fear of you leaving me. It was most definately a test of through good times and bad times, and we made it. I appreciate you being there for me, listening to me when I'm upset and missing him. I once knew a guy(LOL!) who when I was going through a bad time in my life a) cheated on me and b) said to me, "Can't you put on some makeup and stop wearing boxers and a t-shirt all day". Hmmm, just one of the differences between infatuation and true love.

Willingness to accept and adjust to change in one another and the relationship. I love that you and I roll with the punches, so to speak. I am not the same person I was ten years ago, nor will I be the same person I am now in ten years. We have only been together four years, so we haven't had to deal with this one much, but I know that we will not have a problem with this one either.

Reliability and Security. I love that I can rely on you, thus making me feel secure. Okay, I will admit it, you are way better at this than me. You are the only person other than my dad that I know no matter what happens, you will find a way to care and provide for me. You are the strongest, most self-assured person I know. At times I would have just lied down and given up, you find a way to make it work.

I trust you, Babe, which in turn means I can be intimate with you, share feelings with you, which means I feel secure with you. And I know we will grow with each other and not apart from each other. Thank you for loving me and letting me love you.

No comments:

Finish This Page, but click on the older posts, too.

The knee-slappin,' cursin,' GOOD TIMES don't start or end on the front page, so read the older posts! Maybe you missed something. Maybe you forgot. I try to post daily, so read the older posts!
Your Ad Here